Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Kanye West Featuring Japanese Hip-hop group Teriyaki Boyz

I just saw this on TV a few days ago. It's a Japanese TV show about some famous Japanese music icons. I think the show's called Music Station. It started out normal, with the Japanese hosts interviewing Japanese singers when I suddenly saw Kanye West there! Yes, the Kanye West - the one with all those hit records, the one you see on MTV, and yes he's the one who's not Japanese.

That really got me glued to that program (other than the fact that I love any show that has anything remotely related to Japan). Turns out, Kanye West was going to perform with a Japanese hip-hop group called Teriyaki Boyz! Now this was definitely something to watch!

I'm not much of a hip-hop fan and all, but I really had to see it. If you haven't seen it, go watch it now:



Objectively speaking, the chorus has a good beat to it, the beat to their rap was fine. The lyrics, on the other hand, was... intersting (for lack of a better term). I've been listening to JMusic for quite sometime now but never have I heard lyrics mixed with that much English on it! I think it was sang in English 3/4 the time. It was hilarious sometimes trying to tell whether they were saying an English word or a Japanese word. And I think the climax of the song was always when Kanye West would join in and sing "I still love her, Hontou E rap" which means "I still love her, True E rap". Yes, Kanye West actually sings the Japanese word "Hontou!" hehe. That's why the song title is "I Still Love H.E.R." btw. HER stands for Hontou E Rap. :p

I can't find the lyrics yet. I've been surfing for minutes now to no avail! If you guys have it, please leave a comment thanks :)

On a side note, the group is wearing BAPE shirts, another very famous part of Japanese pop culture. I'll make a post about them BAPE shirts next time :)