Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Girls who really Rock

Listening to Avril Lavigne's "Girlfriend" made me remember one thing - there are only a few girl bands who really rock. There are a lot of talented female singers, definitely. But in the rock band scene, I can find only a few.

Don't get me wrong, Avril Lavigne is okay, but she's just a little... commercial. Watching that "Girlfriend" MTV seems to reconfirm that as I saw her doing something she has publicly detested since before -
dancing. Whether she was merely making a mockery out of the pop idols she has dissed over and over again or she has suddenly "made things complicated", "acting like she's somebody else" I don't know. I'll wait till the next MTV and watch out for her dance moves and deduce by then ;).

Then there's Evanescence. They're okay. I do believe that she carries her own brand of rock music to her. She's got a good haunting voice and she's got the whole gothic feel to her. But somehow I don't find myself wanting to listen to her tracks over and over again and looking for her CD like my other bands. Plus, that stint she did with Korn was somehow a little too forced.

In my opinion, only Garbage belongs to the "Girls who really Rock" list. What's good about Garbage is that her songs are very varied and unique. It's not only the heavy instruments that makes her rock. She's got songs like "It's All Over But The Crying" and "The Trick is to Keep Breathing", which are more mellow but she still manages to rock it. Then there's her sultry voice which really fits so well with the electronic-like vibe, the lyrics, everything.

I'm looking for more female rock bands out there. If anyone knows of any, let me know.

No comments: